School of Engineering

History of the School of Engineering

April 1944
Hyogo Prefectural Technical School founded.
April 1944
Renamed Hyogo Prefectural Technical College.
June 1946
Relocated to Idei, Himeji City.
April 1949
Himeji Institute of Technology founded. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Department of Applied Chemistry).
April 1962
New department added (Department of Chemical Engineering).
April 1965
New department added (Department of Electronics).
April 1966
New department added (Department of Metal Materials Engineering).
April 1968
Master's degree program established in the Graduate School of Engineering (Applied Chemistry and Industrial Mechanical Engineering)
April 1970
Campus relocated to Shosha, Himeji City.
April 1973
Master's degree programs established in the Graduate School of Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Metal Material Engineering).
April 1975
Master's degree program established in the Graduate School of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering).
April 1981
Doctoral degree program established in the Graduate School of Engineering (Production Engineering).
June 1985
Engineering Basic Research Institute established.
April 1990
The School of Science established (Department of Material Science and Department of Life Science). General Education Course established.
April 1991
Harima Science Garden City Campus completed. The name of a department of the School of Engineering changed (from Metal Material Engineering to Material Engineering).
April 1992
Institute of Natural and Environmental Sciences founded.
April 1993
New departments added to the School of Engineering (Department of Mechanical and Intelligent Engineering and Department of Computer Engineering).
April 1994
Master's degree programs established in the Graduate School of Science (Material Sciences and Life Science). Attached High School of Himeji Institute of Technology established.
Laboratory of Advanced Science and Technology for Industry established (reorganized and renamed from Basic Research Laboratory.
April 1995
The name of a department of the Graduate School of Engineering changed (from Metal Materials Engineering to Materials Science and Engineering).
April 1996
Master's degree program in the Graduate School of Science renamed First-half Doctoral program.
Second-half Doctoral program established in the Graduate School of Science (Materials Science and Engineering and Life Science).
April 1997
Master's degree program in the Graduate School of Engineering reorganized into Departments of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and Chemistry.
March 1998
General Education Course abolished.
April 1998
School of Human Science and Environment established (Department of Human Science and Environment).
April 1999
Master's degree program in Graduate School of Engineering renamed First-half Doctoral program.
Second-half Doctoral programs established in Graduate School of Engineering (Department of Production Engineering reorganized into Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, and Materials Science and Chemistry)
Institute of Natural and Environmental Sciences reorganized into Nature and Environment Division, Landscape and Horticulture Division and Rural Ecology Division.
April 2000
Industry-Academia Collaboration Center funded.
April 2002
Master’s degree program in the Graduate School of Human Science and Environment established (Department of Human Science and Environment).
April 2004
Himeji Institute of Technology integrated into the School of Engineering of the University of Hyogo.
March 2012
Himeji Institute of Technology closed.
April 2015
The name of a department of School of Engineering changed (Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Metallurgy and Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering).
Graduate School of Engineering reorganized into six departments (Department of Electrical Materials and Engineering, Department of Electronics and Computer Science, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Materials and Synchrotron Radiation Engineering, Department of Applied Chemistry and Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science).