HOME  >  Graduate School of Engineering / History of the Graduate School of Engineering

History of the Graduate School of Engineering - Sparkling individuality

In 1968, Master's degree programs in Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering were established in the Graduate School of Engineering. Later, three new Master's degree programs were added, increasing the number to five by 1975. In 1981, a Doctoral degree program was established in Production Engineering, ahead of other regional national universities in Japan. During the period 1997 to 1999, to promote research and development in interdisciplinary and boundary areas and to respond flexibly to technical innovations and ever-changing social situations, graduate programs were reformed as first-half and second-half doctoral programs in three majors: Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, and Materials Engineering. The School has so far produced 1,984 masters (engineering) and 110 doctors (engineering).

History of the Graduate School of Engineering

April 1944 Hyogo Prefectural Technical School founded.
Renamed Hyogo Prefectural Technical College.
June 1946 Relocated to Idei, Himeji City.
April 1949 Himeji Institute of Technology founded. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Department of Applied Chemistry)
April 1962 Department of Chemical Engineering established.
April 1965 Department of Electronics established.
April 1966 Department of Metal Materials Engineering established.
April 1968 Master's degree program established in the Graduate School of Engineering. (Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering)
April 1970 Campus relocated to Shosha, Himeji City.
April 1973 Master's degree programs in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Metal Material Engineering established.
April 1975 Master's degree program in Mechanical Engineering established.
April 1981 Doctoral degree program in Production Engineering established.
June 1985 Engineering Basic Research Institute established.
School of Engineering's Department of Metal Materials Engineering renamed Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
April 1993 Department of Mechanical and Intelligent Engineering and Department of Computer Engineering established within the School of Engineering.
April 1995 Master's degree program Metal Materials Engineering renamed Materials Science and Engineering.
April 1997 Master's degree program reorganized; Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, and Materials Science and Chemistry majors established.
April 1999 Master's degree program renamed First-half Doctoral program. Second-half Doctoral programs established in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, and Materials Science and Chemistry.
April 2002 Undergraduate and graduate schools reorganized.
April 2004 Himeji Institute of Technology integrated into the University of Hyogo; Graduate School of Engineering, University of Hyogo established.